Saturday, January 12, 2013

Finding what you're looking for in India is not hard....if you know where to look.


With advances in technology available these days, I can check into the community here on facebook (oy vey) and find out the 'goings on about town' at any moment. This place is wired...albeit somewhat unreliably. I have a new use and appreciation for the social network while I'm here. Nonetheless, I'm glad to say that the ancient art of face to face conversation and actually being present somewhere has its merits. 

Until I begin classes at the shala (in sanskrit, this means house) on Monday, I don't have much of a schedule to adhere to. I wander around and ask strangers for direction often. Most of the time I arrive where I intended but other times, not so much. In an attempt to find a more permanent place to live while I'm here, a random conversation with a woman I met in the street resulted in very helpful tip to find a man named Shiva 's house (I think of him sort of like the Godfather of Mysore). After quite a long wait for a man with whom I didn't have an appointment (this never would have flown with Vito Corleone), I met him at his house and, cutting to the chase, he was able to fulfill my request of helping me find a room. Of course, come back tomorrow is the next instruction...and I did...but what a victory/ relief!! 

Strangely, I've had a handful of experiences like this in just 2 days. I don't expect that I will always be so lucky. It's helpful to acknowledge that the more I aim to expand the bubble I'm in or the boundaries I've put in place, the greater the chance of getting lost or taken off course initially. And while it's not always immediately clear, I trust that because of this my experience will be richer in some way in the end.

If there's one thing I've learned here since my arrival, it's that there's no better gift to give yourself on any day than a coconut water. Watching these men slice and dice a coconut for drinking and then eating enjoyment is an artform in every sense. 

So, here's how to enjoy a coconut (in reverse order of enjoyment):




1 comment: